There are many theories about how to pack your luggage more efficiently and everyone seems to know just the trick. Do you fold, roll or use a stuff bag to fit it all in?
When I saw this video, I thought I couldn’t say it better! See for yourself
Sure, not everyone likes to take a suitcase, but you can definitely get useful tips as a backpacker.
Here is additional advice on how to pack a backpack:
- Lay out everything you need to bring. Then look what you can reduce. Be ruthless: leave some of those shirts at home. Do you really need all those things? 😉
- Bulky items need to go in first, then push folded clothes around them, filling in the gaps with socks. To be honest, I don’t believe in rolling my clothes, apart from when filling gaps. Make sure to keep the weight balanced and centered – heavy items shouldn’t be placed too low down, neither too high up.
- Compression sacks can be useful to compress soft and bulky items like sleeping bags.
- Strap awkwardly shaped items like sleeping mats to the outside. Although I’d take these off when giving up your luggage to go on a plane or bus.
- Pack according to your needs: When going on a plane I prefer to empty all side pockets to avoid damage or theft and keep personal items on me in a smaller backpack. When on a hike, I fill those side pockets with stuff I need to access frequently.
What’s your advice on how to pack your bag like a pro?